organGeneralH1

Curhaus Organ

A photograph of the Curhaus Organ.

Orgelbau Jens Steinhoff, Schwörstadt (Germany), 2016

2 manuals, 7 stops

The Curhaus (Stephansplatz 3 and 3a) was built in the first half of the 18th century and is named after the ‘Archbishop’s Cur’, the community of priests responsible for pastoral care at St. Stephen’s Cathedral. This is also the building where the rehearsal rooms and the office of Vienna Cathedral Music are located.

The beautiful Baroque chapel on the first floor was consecrated in 1742 and bears the words ‘Maria Vermählung’, a dedication referencing the marriage of Maria Theresa of Austria to Franz Stefan of Lorraine some years earlier. In 2016, the chapel received a new organ in the traditional style of Johannes Schnitzler, an organ builder from Switzerland who decisively influenced English organ building in the 18th century.

  • Mechanical key action
  • Mechanical action windchests
  • Tremulant (acts on manuals)

Temperament: T. Young

a1 = 440 Hz at 20 °C room temperature

Koppeln

1-P / 2-P

Schiebekoppel

2-1

Disposition

Great (1. Manual)

Flöte 8'

Principal 4'

Fifteenth 2'

Sesquialtera / Cornet 3-fach

Positiv (2. Manual)

Stopt Diapason 8'

Flöte 4'

Pedal

Bordun 16'