organGeneralH1

Curhaus Organ

A photograph of the Curhaus Organ.

Orgelbau Jens Steinhoff, Schwörstadt (Germany), 2016

2 manuals, 7 stops

The Curhaus (Stephansplatz 3 and 3a) was built in the first half of the 18th century and is named after the ‘Archbishop’s Cur’, the community of priests responsible for pastoral care at St. Stephen’s Cathedral. This is also the building where the rehearsal rooms and the office of Vienna Cathedral Music are located.

The beautiful Baroque chapel on the first floor was consecrated in 1742 and is dedicated to the marriage of Mary in honor to the marriage of Empress Maria Theresia to Franz Stefan of Lorraine few years earlier. In 2016 the chapel got a new organ which alludes to the style of John Schnetzler, an organ builder from Switzerland who became the arguably most important English organ building of the 18th century.

Specification

Mechanical key and stop action

Tremulant to both manuals

Temperament: Thomas Young

a1 = 440 Hz at 20 °C

Great

Flute 8'

Principal 4'

Fifteenth 2'

Sesquialtera / Cornet 3-fach

Positiv

Stopt Diapason 8'

Flute 4'

Pedal

Bordun 16'