Vienna Cathedral Choir
Interested in singing in the Vienna Cathedral Choir?
We are looking for committed singers with choir experience who are willing to rehearse regularly and who would enjoy playing their part in providing the music for a Sunday service at St. Stephen’s Cathedral about once a month.
Register for an audition
The Vienna Cathedral Choir is made up of ambitious amateur singers. The choir focuses on liturgical compositions of Viennese Classicism and Romanticism. Important works of oratorio literature are performed at regular cathedral concerts.
The weekly rehearsal with the cathedral’s Director of Music, Markus Landerer, takes place on Fridays from 7.00 - 9.30 p.m. in the Curhaus at Stephansplatz 3.
Depending on the number of available places, the option of individual vocal training with Petra Chiba and Rita-Lucia Schneider is available.
Extracts from the repertoire:
- Bach: Christmas Oratorio, St. John Passion and St. Matthew Passion
- Beethoven: Mass in C major, Missa solemnis
- Brahms: A German Requiem
- Bruckner: Mass in D minor, Mass in F minor, Mass in E minor, Te Deum, Missa solemnis
- Dvořák: Mass in D major, Requiem, Stabat mater
- Fauré: Requiem
- Gounod: St. Cecilia Mass
- Handel: The Messiah, Dettinger Te Deum
- J. Haydn: The Creation, the 6 Great Masses
- M. Haydn: Schrattenbach Requiem
- Kodály: Missa brevis
- Liszt: Missa coronationalis, Via crucis
- Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Elijah, hymn of praise, Paul
- Menschick: Missa Te Deum laudamus
- Mozart: Requiem in D minor, Vespers, all masses
- Rheinberger: Missa St. Crucis in G major, Cantus missae
- Rossini: Stabat mater
- Schubert: all masses
- Verdi: Messa da Requiem
- Vierne: Mass solennelle C sharp minor
- Widor: Mass in F sharp minor